Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mom Tip of the Day

We had a visit from a police officer today. Can anyone guess why?
Early this morning Marlee was playing with the cordless telephone. The funny thing is every time Dave sees me give Marlee the phone he says you better make sure she doesn't call 911. Of course, my response to this is something like come on Babe, seriously what are the chances. Well, quite high as it happened today...
She is playing with the phone and after a couple of minutes it rings. The caller ID shows an unknown caller and, as usual, I don't answer it. After about a minute I decide to hit redial because I just have this feeling (probably Dave channeling me and thinking to myself who makes calls this early in the morning). Sure enough, the last number called was 9111. I go check the machine and hear this, This is the metropolitan police department. We received a 911 call from this number. If someone is there, please pick up. I am freaking out at this point. I call Dave and he tells me to call them back. But I don't want to. I feel so stupid. They will send someone out if you don't call.
So, I have to tie up the emergency line so I can let the dispatcher know it was an accident and I am an idiot. This is what I do and let me tell you, the dispatcher was so nice and understanding. I just explained that my 9 month old daughter decided to call 911.
About 30 seconds later I hear bang, bang, bang. Uh oh. You can only guess who was at the door, yes a uniformed police officer. I'm in my pajamas when I answer the door and kindly explain to the gentleman that the call was accidental and apologize over and over again for wasting his and the dispatcher's time. He was so nice and said that these things happen.
Let's just say I feel like a major moron. Like Dave said, at least we now know that if something were to ever happen our emergency units and quick and efficient. It took no more than 5 minutes before I heard the bang bang bang at the door.
Moral of the story, it does happen. No more phone for Marlee.
Stay tuned for Marlee's 9 month post. Yep, she's 9 months today! I can't believe it either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. Smart girl. My niece did it when she was about 3. We were at my Grandma's in Utah and the cops showed up. they live in a really small town. She has never done it again.

I can't believe she is 9 months.

Kristy said...

TOo funny, well not really funny for YOU in your jammies explaining it to the MR policemens, but funny for us to laugh at you!! I can't believe she actually called 911!! Remember when ALexee was getting online with your phone? THey are smarter than we think the are :)