Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Green Thumb

Marlee would like to wish everyone a Happy Earth Day!
The bow is for you, Auntie Kristy

In honor of Earth Day I thought I would share some pictures of my garden. I use this word very loosely because it is not a garden at all...more like some veggies and fruits Dave and I planted in pots. Hey, I had to start somewhere! We planted our garden on 4/13.

So, this is my first year gardening and I started very simple. After doing some research about gardening in the desert, Dave and I planted:

2 tomato plants




squash



and strawberries





I completely expect and accept this first season of gardening to be a crap shoot. Imagine my surprise when a week after my fruit and veggies were planted, I go out to water and find this:



Yes, this is a strawberry already blooming. Actually, there are four strawberries blooming. Imagine my excitement. I don't think blooming is the proper word to use, but whatever. I think the proper word is yielding.

Well, I'm off to make strawberry jam. Yes, you read right, make strawberry jam. No, not with my four fresh bloomin' strawberries.
Yes, I am a cook, baker, and gardener extraordinaire (insert sarcasm here).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed. Have you made that freezer jam? It is suppose to be really easy. You will let me know what kind you are making.

Kristy said...

WoW!! YOu are like a pocket on a shirt sister!! I am quite impressed!! Brad & ray used to a garden every year when we lived next door, after YEARS of practice they finally got some stuff to grow!! I can't believe what a Betty F------ Crocker you are:) Go Girl!

haylee lynn... said...

I am very proud of your garden... You are so good about making her food and now you are even growing your own. I'm jealous... I hope the tomatoes do well, you know how I love them!