Thursday, January 24, 2008

Wasted

A couple of years ago I made a decision to never make a New Year's Resolution. This is not to say that I don't make resolutions, I just don't feel that a person should wait until the beginning of each year to live a certain way or do a certain thing (much easier said than done, I know).
With that said, I did make quite a few "resolutions" a couple of weeks ago. I will not bore you with what these resolutions are (except for one-the reason behind this post) as I want to live each day with these thoughts and promises to myself and not just talk (or write) about them.
So, the one resolution I will share with you is to be less wasteful. When I think of how wasteful I am on a daily basis it nauseates me.
One area that I am wasteful in is the kitchen. My Grandma Bea would be so disappointed as she can make a dinner out of anything, and I mean anything. It's so hard to not waste food when there is only two adults living in my house and you can't even get just FOUR hot dog or hamburger buns, but I am trying. I have started making one dinner, taking the leftovers, and "reinventing" the leftovers for another night. Here is what I do with a beef roast:

Night 1-Beef Roast
Place a beef roast, onion, carrots, potatoes, and garlic in a crock pot. Add seasonings, either beef stock or water, and cook accordingly.
Note: if you put slits in the roast and place pieces of whole garlic in the slits it gives the roast great flavor.
Oh so yummy. This dinner so reminds me of Sunday's growing up. We had roast every Sunday after church..yummy. Thanks Mom!

Night 2-Hash (recipe courtesy of Marlee's Grandma Viola):
In a pan, saute one chopped onion in olive oil
Take leftover roast, carrots, and potatoes and cut them into bite size pieces.
Add to pan and heat through
So good..thanks Grandma Viola for this recipe. It's now a family favorite.

I can't wait for dinner tonight. Hope you enjoy. I'll be sharing more recipe reinventions in the future.

Oh-and yes, if you feel my recipes are too vague that would be my Mom coming out in me..a little of this and a little of that.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

Good Job!! My husband teaches me to not be so wasteful, he has a little of G-Ma Bea in him! I'll be like, there is nothing to eat in this house, we need to go out & get something, he'll go in the kitchen & whip up a meal, a good meal mind you, & I'm like how the hell did you do that? So, you & Brad are more alike than you think :)

Anonymous said...

Now you are making me think of jow wasteful I am. Mark does not eat left overs. Only a certain few. There are a few things I can sneak by and he doesn't know that it was from the night before. Let me know any new things that you come up with.

haylee lynn... said...

is this post somehow especially for me?? i get it ang... i need to be more domesticated! i'll have you know i have been cooking like a crazy person lately. well kind of! i like your resolution though. i feel bad too but it is so hard! jimmy is really good about not wasting food though. that is why i call him my "garbage disposal"! just kidding. he would kill me if he knew i said that!

Dara & the Boys said...

That's a good one. I really think our society needs to work on the garbage waste. We have about everything and anything made to throw away. I feel so good when I take something old and make it new or changing it up so it doesn't look like it was handed down. Left over chicken can make a great caeser salad for lunch the next day. Sometimes I like to make a little extra keeping in mind what I could do with it the next day...that way your not cooking every single night yuk!

Dara & the Boys said...

O and I have Ethan envolved in the recycling. It's his new choir, matter of fact he just came to me asking me if these two cans were ready to go in the recyler? Talk about timing. I just couldn't resists posting this comment, to much of a coincidence. Weird too.

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy!! I am more wasteful than I used to be, it was much easier when there were 6 little bird mouths to eat it all.... Not only does mom not waste she can feed an army of people on 1 can of tuna or whatever-amazing woman...
Love ya