Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Vent..Unassisted Home Births, What?!?

Disclaimer: This is the opinion of me and me only..

Okay, so I must vent. This morning I was feeding Marlee her morning bottle and I had Good Morning America on. There is a segment on unassisted home births. They interviewed women who chose to forgo the "traditional" hospital setting and deliver her baby (or babies-a Mom carrying Twins) at home. I know there are women out there that choose a home birth with the help of a doula or midwife, which I would never even think about considering but to each her own. However, these women were COMPLETELY unassisted. Oh, I'm sorry, some had the assistance of their spouse. There was even a women doing this carrying TWINS!

I feel this is completely irresponsible and for anyone even considering doing something like this, she is tempting fate in my opinion. I just think about my birth experience (which I'm sure has tainted my opinion). If it weren't for me being in a hospital setting with the help of a great doctor and nurses Marlee would not be here today. I know what happened to me is uncommon but there is potential for so many complications, so why risk it? Women can choose to experience certain birth plans and still deliver in a hospital. There are good doctors out there. Why not find a good doctor that will respect your wishes and birth plan?

I can't even wrap my head around this one. What if the baby is breach? What if the baby comes out not breathing? What if..what if..what if?

Not worth the risk.

Just my opinion.

Okay, vent done.

I was going to post a picture of Marlee a couple minutes after she was born and being given oxygen but decided against it, too personal for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on this one. There is no reason for it. I know someone that has done it and their baby needed oxygen and didn't get it in time and has had developmental problems.

It is so not worth the risk!

Lesley Barr Photography said...

Agreed and agreed. Very irresponsible for the parent and putting both of their lives at risk. Complications happen every day...a doula or midwife can help to some extent, but having no one! Seriously, can we go smack them and ask them what they were thinking! And twins...you must be joking. Makes you wonder about people huh.