Monday, March 3, 2008

Sad Day

So, today started out as any other Monday. Wake up early, and when I say early I mean 5:00am early. My morning went something like this:
Feed Marlee
Play with Marlee
Put Marlee down for morning nap
Check email and school
Pay bills
Clean my bathroom and bedroom
Take shower and get ready
Do a load of laundry
Marlee up..feed her again
It is now 9:30am
Pretty mundane Monday, right? Well, about 10:00 am Mollie (my dog) starts having what my vet refers to as episodes. A little background..
I do not only have one baby, I have three babies. My first two are my puppies, Cooper and Mollie. Cooper was a Christmas present from Dave in 2001 and we got Mollie February 2002. I know there are many people out there that think I am absolutely crazy in the way I treat my dogs. However, these two little furballs got me through some pretty dark times and are such great companions. Did you know that research shows elderly people that have dogs live longer than elderly people that don't?
So, About a year ago Mollie started having what we think are seizures. Her vet, best doctor ever, diagnosed her with epilepsy. She averages about one seizure a month. Not enough for me to justify putting her on medication. I have just been paying close attention and keeping in contact with Dr. Vet.
Today, Mollie has what I think is a seizure. I do what I always do, lay with her, pet her, and tell her everything's going to be alright. Then she had another, and another, and another. About one every fifteen minutes for three hours.
At 1:00 I take her to the vet. Not good when you get bumped in front of all the patients..means doc thinks this is serious. He assessed her and told me he wants to do blood work and keep an eye on her for a couple more hours.
Long story short, he doesn't know exactly what is wrong with her. Not sure if what she is having now is cluster seizures or something else. He called a neurologist (Can you believe they have puppy neurologists?) to get a second opinion. They should get her blood work back tomorrow and hopefully this will tell us something.
The good news is Mollie has been home for about an hour and is acting completely normal. Let's cross our fingers.
Sad, very sad, day for Mama..

My sweet Mollie girl

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope everything comes back ok. I know how much you love your babies. You are not some crazy lady that loves her dogs to much. They have been with you through a lot.

Keep us posted.

Lesley Barr Photography said...

Sorry sissy. I really hope Mollie is ok. Hopefully this was an isolated incident and she will be back to "normal" soon. And yes, you are a crazy dog lady. =)

haylee lynn... said...

Sissy... I am so sorry. I hope you are okay. Call me. I will pray for sweet little Mollie girl. She is too cute to have anything wrong with her...

Kristy said...

I am sooooo sorry!!! You are a TRUE animal LOVER!! Your Bubba's are very lucky they have you for their MAMA! I hope everything is OKAY! I can't imagine what you are feeling! Good Luck!!