Thursday, October 2, 2008

On and On

Disclaimer: This is a somewhat political post.

Since this is ultimately a blog for Marlee, I find it fitting to acknowledge the trouble our country is in. Every morning as I feed Marlee and watch the news, I am horrified by what is going on in this country. From the housing market crisis, to all the bad loans that were lent by the banks, to the stock market crashing, to our government stepping in and bailing out banks, to the $700 billion bail out package that is in the works, to the never-ending war in Iraq, to the cost of food, to our dependence on foreign oil, to gas prices hovering at $4 a gallon, to shipping jobs overseas, to unemployment being on the rise, to our dollar being worth less and less, to our national debt, to social security running dry, to our ever-lacking education system, and on, and on, and on...
To hear economists talk, we are just three steps from a depression. Sometimes I feel as though this country is not moving forward, but rather backward.

In other news, is anyone else excited to watch the one and only VP debate tonight? I'm hoping to get a few good laughs out of it!

Let's just hope our next president can do a better job than our current president has done.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

You are brave, Politics? No one can really argue with any of this! It is scary, & it seems to be spiraling downhill FAST!!! I hate to watch the news, it freaks me out! I am one of those people that goes with the whole "Ignorance is Bliss" sometimes it works well, other times I look like an idiot when I'm like "Huh" when someone is talking about something everyone BUT me apparently knows about:) I have tried to be better, but I still don't compare to you & your Book Of Knowledge:) Learn me would ya?

Lesley Barr Photography said...

I was just telling Jeff yesterday that it is 2008, the future compared to the last depression in the 1930's and we are almost in the same place. Scary. The news depresses me and scares me to death. I feel so sorry for our children if this is the new future. I too, really hope the next President (OBAMA 2008!) can help the US. Although with what they are stepping into (the garbage that P. Bush left) that is going to be very hard.

Anonymous said...

You are Brave posting about this topic. I have had some tough topics lately, but I wouldn't touch politics. I do follow what is going on most of the time, and it is scarey. The economy, housing, war everything is a mess.

But we can't put everything on Bush. Clinton lead him right into a big mess. And our next president is going to be in a bigger mess. I will say I am ready for this war to be over. But sorry girls I am a McCain/Palin fan. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a HUGE Obama supporter, but I didn't mind McCain all that much, until he chose Palen as his VP... what in the world was he thinking!!!! Scary is an understatement!!! We need change and quick!