Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I Do It

My daughter will be 3 in less than two months, yet to me she is still so little.
I still get her dressed/undressed, put on (most) of her shoes, help her on the potty, help her wash her hands and brush her teeth, rock her before bed...
This is normal for me. This is normal for Marlee. I've done all these things her entire life. I've never thought of not helping her.
Lately I have been better about telling her to go wash her hands, brush her teeth, etc. And I've been wondering at what age does she start doing more of these things on her own.
Just today I was explaining this to my sister Kristy. I also had a play date with my oldest friend Jessica and her two kids.
I don't know what happened. I don't know if Marlee heard my conversation with my sister or if she was watching Jessica's 4 year old daughter being more independent. However, this afternoon I kept hearing "no Momma I do it." I tried to help her put on her shoes and this is what I heard. I went to help her on the potty and this is what I heard.
And as much as I want to raise an independent child, I too want her to need/want my help.
Sadly, I know this is just the beginning.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

:( I think Marlee's age is the hardest stage of change. All the other stages are sad, but this, from toddler to kid is by far the worst. She has changed so much even since the last time I saw her, which wasn't THAT long ago.

Anonymous said...

It's so so so bitter sweet Ang!!! It never gets easier in that respect... I still want to help mine too, but talk about independent!