Thursday, July 24, 2008

12 months



I know I’m a little late with this as my daughter is now 12 months and two weeks. To be honest, I have been putting off posting about my baby girl turning one because I can’t put my feelings into words. I don’t quite know where to begin. However, begin I shall.
Let’s begin with M’s 12 month (and two week) stats:
22.12 pounds – 65 percentile
30 inches – 75 percentile
Just graduated to a size 4 diaper although a little big
Has eight teeth (four top front and four bottom front)

She is thinning out. This is probably due to that fact that she does not stop. ever. She’s gone from lying so still in my arms or anywhere I place her, to kicking her feet and flapping her arms, to rolling all over the place, to sitting up, to scooting, to crawling, to crawling faster, to standing, to walking. At 12 months M was taking about 12 steps. Now, at 12 months and two weeks she is walking all over the place. It is so exciting to watch her discover this new found independence, so curious of every new discovery she comes upon. She's also gone from disliking most people and being very shy to a little social butterfly.


Although I am saddened to see each stage pass, I am enjoying this stage with Marlee so much. Yes, many days are filled with frustration, tempers, crying fits, and breakdowns. They are also filled with smiles, giggles, and fun. Everyday is so different yet somehow just the same.
Marlee Kay’s favorite things…
Water. Whether it be swimming and splashing in the pool, taking a bath, playing in water puddles, or splashing in the sink as I wash her hands, Marlee loves water.
Mirrors. Oh how she enjoys looking at herself. She just stares at herself and laughs.


Books. I cannot even begin to explain how my little one adores books. I have read to her since the day we brought her home from the hospital and I think it has paid off.
Being outside. My little girls loves to play outside. Living in the desert has made this quite challenging the past few months. At least once a day we hang out on the patio and at least once a day Marlee goes to the backdoor and cries to go outside and play.


Exploring. Forget about toys. If I give Marlee free rein to run wild around the house (supervised of course) she will make an entire day of just roaming around.
I could go on and on.
Kids. She loves other kids. However, I think my little love is going to be a serious bully.
Marlee’s choice of words thus far have been (in no particular order): Dada, MomMom, bubba or baba, dog, ball, hi, ruff ruff, owww, owie, wow, . She also signs milk. I’ll say Marlee you ready for milky and sometimes she gets so excited and signs milk with both hands.
So, at one year Marlee refuses to feed herself. She sits in her high chair and opens her mouths and waits for the food. As my Dad always said to us kids, she’s like a little bird waiting for food.


Oh how I love and adore you my beautiful daughter…your scrunched up face when I go in your room to greet you first thing in the morning, your smile and laughter, your curiosity, listening to you sing yourself to sleep, your innocence, watching your face light up when you hear Dada coming through the door, your determination, your unexpected snuggles..so few and far between, watching you sleep with your little butt in the air..I could watch you sleep for hours, your fearlessness, watching you explore the world..you find joy in the smallest things. Never lose this curiosity.


You have taught me so much this past year, from patience to unconditional love to true devotion and I want to thank you. Thank you for being everything I could have ever hoped for and more. We were meant for one another my sweet girl and not a day goes by that I don’t look at you and think how lucky and blessed I am to have you in my life. You amaze me. You humble me. There are no words to convey my deep love and devotion to you.


You have stolen my heart baby girl. Always know that I am your biggest fan.

3 comments:

Lesley Barr Photography said...

Awwwww. She is going to look back on this post and cry her little eyes out. She is beautiful sissy. You are very blessed and lucky indeed!!!

Jessica said...

So, so sweet. You make me miss my baby girl. I love all of those pictures. She is so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful. Can you believe how fast that year goes by? So sad but so much fun at the same time. It only gets better.