Friday, February 1, 2008

Recipe Reinvention #2

Anyone interested in my recipe reinvention of the week? One of my favorite recipes growing up as a child is chicken noodle soup over mashed potatoes. I enjoy making this dinner on a gloomy, rainy day but I always have SO much soup leftover. No matter how hard I try to make a small pot of soup, I always end up with enough soup to feed a family of 8. Why not just eat the soup leftover, you ask? Just not my favorite thing. So, I have come up with a chicken pot pie for my leftover reinvention. It actually turned out pretty darn tasty. Again, very vague recipes. Who is really precise when it comes to soup?

Night #1 Chicken noodle soup over mashed potatoes
In a stock pot cover chicken and your choice of root vegetables with quite a bit of water - my choice of veggies: carrots, celery, and parsnips
Season water
Cook chicken until done
Once chicken is done, remove and cut into bite size pieces
Add chopped chicken back into the pot with the veggies
Season to taste
*At this point, before you add noodles and thicken, reserve about half of your stock, chicken and veggies (for second night reinvention)
Add your choice of noodles and cook until done
Thicken sauce to desired consistency
Serve in a bowl over mashed potatoes - everyone knows how to make mashed potatoes, right?
and bread or biscuits
..Yummy, I believe this is an Unruh recipe. So good, it's kind of like chicken and dumplings (I use the words "kind of" loosely)

Night #2-Chicken pot pie
In a pot, make a ru (sp?) with butter and flour
Add leftover chicken soup
Add a dollop of sour cream (optional-made gravy nice and creamy)
Add cooked, cubed potato(es) to soup (I just baked 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed. You could even use precut frozen or canned)
Season to taste
Simmer on med-low until soup is heated through and has thickened (5-10 minutes)
Pour soup into individual soup bowls
Cover bowls with pie dough (homemade or store bought)
Cut slits in dough and brush with egg wash
Cook at 400 degrees for about 25-30 minutes

I served a side salad and bread and..
Enjoy.!.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pot pie recipe sounds really good. I will have to try it. Brad and Kristy made the chicken soup over mashed potatoes one night for us a while ago. So good.

Anonymous said...

Wow- I didn't know you cooked! :)

I'm always looking for yummy recipes, esp. now that I have to be a good wife. Do you use a whole chicken or chicken parts?

haylee lynn... said...

I am somewhat offended! I do not live very far and you would think since you are such a nice sissy you would let me know when you are making this yummy dish and give me some of it! WTF?? You know I am not a good cook!

Kristy said...

YUM!! Sounds delicious!! Brad loves that recipe, he calls it "slop" I love the reinvention! I am going to have to try it! By the way you write a recipe about like Gma Bea, a little of this a little of that!! But I guess we still all love that little crazy woman:) So we'll keep you too :)

Unknown said...

I am so very proud of you for inventing recipes!! The reinventment sounds yummy, I still cook like I'm feeding an army when it's soups/stews etc... The first time I made Chic&Noodles your dad asked where are the mashed potatoes, I thought he was crazy but the next time I made it and put it over mashed potatoes I was hooked!!! Difference in Nv and Kansas growing up!!
Love me